Thursday, May 20, 2010

Teaching...

So, I've taught Primary since the day I graduated High School. Yep, five long years; save the six months that I lived in Provo, for which I was the ward pianist. When I started going to the Singles Branch down in Nephi, I naturally figured that they wouldn't give me a calling since I lived in Payson and just commuted to church each Sunday. After a lovely adventure of getting my records transferred down to the branch I was told my the Branch President, Pres. Bateman, that they had TWO callings in mind for me and that they would let me know which one they decided was right for me.
In the mean time, I've been the ward pianist again, without being called, because the girl that was playing moved and I was asked to 'fill in'. I'm still playing without being officially called. But it's not too bad and it gives me an excuse to practice a little bit more.
Now, to the point of the story. On Mother's Day I was asked to substitute in Relief Society. I'd never taught anything other than Primary so you can imagine that I was super nervous to say the least. I made sure that I was way over prepared and when it was all said and done, I felt like I did an okay job. The sisters in the Relief Society said that I did, so I'll take their word for it. Once class was over, President Bateman came up to me and asked to see me in his office. I, of course, already knew that he was going to issue me a call, but as I walked into his room, I silently prayed to myself that it wouldn't be a teaching position. I figured that my calling was going to be ward pianist since that was what I'd been doing for two months.
So we sat down in his office and President Bateman turned to me and said that they wanted to call me as a Relief Society instructor!!! Horror!! I just knew it! I'm going to be known as the worst relief society teacher ever! So after I sat there for a minute and thought it through, I of course agreed to accept the calling. I couldn't tell President Bateman no even if I wanted to...
Now, even after five years of teaching Primary, it obviously hasn't become apparent that I'm just not a teacher... But then if you listen to Mavanie, I must be a good teacher if that's what I keep getting called to do. I don't know if I agree with her or not, but I'm certainly going to try and do my best.
Now I just need to get over my bad case of nerves when I have to talk in front of people...

2 comments:

Mavanie said...

You are an amazing teacher! I enjoy your lessons!

Emily said...

Thanks, Mav. You do an awesome job too when you teach!